Monday 5 November 2012

Power


“Never before did I realize that mental illness could have the aspect of power, power.” (238).
Today we will focus on the turn of power. There is a transition underway in the ward, a flip for power, a flip for what seems like the better. We learn early off that Nurse Ratchet has all the power. She is top nurse backed by the whole power of the government. Yet we see a change, a change in the form of a small red hair man. And now, the power has fully turned. We see the group now allowed to go on a fishing trip, with women, and participate in the outside. The doctor is now standing up for what he truly wishes to do. And we see the effects of power, we see Chief begin to speak.
The group is allowed to go to the coast. McMurphy does one heck of a job convincing and coaxing people into joining his expedition, despite the nurse’s best efforts to deter the men. The patients are starting to feel a sense of security again, and now a sense of adventure. We see attacks against the nurse whenever possible and we see her starting to wear down. This is the flip of power, this is her final press for control before she is fizzled out; or is it? She still holds all the cards. The men are merely nipping at them. Yet we see an effect that washes over the men. This effect, this disease called power. Now the men believe they have power. They see the effects of having power, how it is great, how they can do as they please. However we can also see how power corrupts in the form of Cheswick. He thought he had power – hopes of an influential input – but it turned out to be nothing. It is curious to see how this plays out.
The quote at the top is when the men learn power through scare tactics. McMurphy props all the men up to being enraged killers from the crazy, loony hospital. This, in turn, gives the men power over people that have heard this, because they are scared. “Think of it: perhaps the more insane a man is, the more powerful he could become. Hitler an example.” (238) I love the example being Hitler because he was an expert at scare tactics. I am not here to debate if he was crazy or not, and I am not going into depth on what sanity really is, but for all intensive purposes we will say Hitler was crazy. Now with these men coming to a realization that their mental health can be used as a way to gain power over an everyday citizen by portraying that they are potentially dangerous, it does not solve their issues in the ward. They begin to like the feeling of power, they enjoy the intimidation factor that they can display, but back at the ward there is no way that this will fly with the nurse. 
This is a clash of powers – power hungry patients and a dominant nurse backed with every possible resource imaginable – yet we always cheer for the underdog. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Peter!
    Great Blog!! McMurphy is my favourite character in this book. I just don’t know whether Ratched has something up her sleeve that she’s backing off McMurphys power or is she frightened and doesn’t know what to do. I have a huge feeling she’s going to give him slack and do something so huge that he will be cornered and he won’t be able to do anything. McMurphy entered Ratcheds control area where she was comfortable and had everything in control. I have to be honest I get power hungry too when I’m at my work.haha I have my own section to control and when someone enters my territory my power is threatened and I start to get defensive. When it comes to new people I don’t mind helping them out but when it comes to them trying to take over my control... That’s when shit goes down! I feel I would be Nurse Ratched in this case. In my blog I was explaining why McMurphy is dominant to Nurse Ratched. It was caused by his childhood memory of him losing his virginity to a girl and she totally leaves him. He felt dominated... if you want to check it out it’s on my blog :P I love the Hitler example, it’s totally true. I would love to relate that to a certain story but you know what I’ll keep that to myself because I don’t want to be called Hitler myself LOL

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter! Nice blog entry, there are a couple things that I agree with you with, but, there's also something that I'm not completely convinced on. I feel like in this blog entry you keep referring to power as a bad thing. At one point you call it a "disease", this is where I think our opinions differ. I think to some people power can be a definitely be a curse, some people are just not strong enough or responsible enough to handle the kind of responsibility power entails, true power that is. I believe that there are people out there that respect the power they have and use it to help people and do things for the greater good. I think the newfound power the patients have gained is of a different nature though. I think it gains them a sense of empowerment, a new sense of confidence that will help them to stand up for themselves and to better their lives. I do agree with you there is a definite power shift happening in the ward but this is a different kind of power. It’s the accumulation of the patients frustration and need for change, the power of that outweighs the hold Nurse Ratched has over them.

    Also, just to set the record straight, Hitler was one crazy MOFO. No one in their right mind would set up camps with the sole purpose of annihilating an entire race. That dude had serious daddy issues.

    Anyway man, cool blog! I dug it!
    Austin

    ReplyDelete